Friday 6 April 2012

Way of the Cross: Sixth Station

Veronica wipes the face of Jesus

V. We adore you, O Christ and praise you.
R. Because by Your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

Reading

From the Gospel according to Matthew
‘When the Son of Man appears in his glory and all his angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory… Then the king will say to those on his right, “Come you who have been blessed by my Father; inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger and you gave me hospitality; naked and you put clothes on me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? When did we see you a stranger and give you hospitality or naked and put clothes on you? When did we see you sick or in prison and come to you?” And the king will answer them, “Amen I tell you, whatever you did to one of these brothers and sisters of mine, [even] the least of them, you did it to me.”’

Meditation

Veronica’s action must have seemed pointless. She could not help Jesus avoid his fate on the cross. Any relief wiping his face gave him would have been temporary; since he would simply sweat and bleed again. Yet, though the relief she offers is so little, it is enough to grace her life. Do you find joy and grace in the little things you can do for others?

Prayer

Jesus, our Lord, you taught us to serve you in the poor, the sick, the dying. Give us the grace you gave St. Veronica to recognise that no act of kindness is too small for you.

Close

All: Our Father …
Bruis'd, derided, curs'd, defil'd,
She beheld her tender child
All with bloody scourges rent.
Find the remaining stations here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think, but please remember to keep it on point and civil. All comments are moderated.