Friday 6 April 2012

Way of the Cross: Twelfth Station

Jesus dies on the cross

V. We adore you, O Christ and praise you.
R. Because by Your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

Reading

From the Passion according to Mark
And when it came to the sixth hour, darkness came on the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus shouted in a loud voice, ‘Eloi, eloi, lema sabachthani?’ when it is translated is, ‘My God, my God, for what purpose did you abandon me?’ And some of the bystanders, hearing [this], started to say, ‘Look – he is calling on Elijah.’… ‘Wait – let’s see if Elijah is coming to take him down.’ But Jesus, letting out a great shout, expired.

Meditation

Even Jesus appears to have lost hope now. No one is coming to save him. Do you find yourself crying, ‘My God, my God, for what purpose did you abandon me?’

Prayer

Jesus, our Lord, you’ve shown us you understand the depths of our hopelessness and pain. But God did not abandon you, and three days later, He proved it for the entire world to see. Give us the patience and courage to hold on to the promises of God.

Close

All: Our Father …
Let me share with thee His pain,
Who for all my sins was slain,
Who for me in torments died.
Find the remaining stations here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think, but please remember to keep it on point and civil. All comments are moderated.